ATEG Archives

June 2009

Date:
Tue, 30 Jun 2009 08:24:26 -0400
I find Herb's answer with its pragmatic distinctions quite sufficient.
None of the sentences are non-standard.

It reminds me of a translation exercise that I composed as a first year
teacher of HS French in a grammar-translation class.  Take "Did John
send Mary a basket of flowers yesterday?" and, based on stress and
supersegmental phonemes in English, translate the sentence in as many ways
as you can support.  Good students would do at least eight French sentences,
lesser ones, only six or seven.

Scott Catledge

Date:    Mon, 29 Jun 2009 07:44:46 -0400
From:    Chris Carnevali <[log in to unmask]>
Subject: haw

Sent from my iPhone

------------------------------

Date:    Mon, 29 Jun 2009 10:01:38 -0400
From:    Teresa Lintner <[log in to unmask]>
Subject: Teresa Lintner is out of the office.

I will be out of the office starting  06/26/2009 and will not return until
06/30/2009.

I will be checking my email periodically.

Date:    Mon, 29 Jun 2009 20:53:50 -0700
From:    Cynthia Baird <[log in to unmask]>
Subject: Re: question

--0-1640892176-1246334030=:96121

I'll own up to my non-standard roots. I find "whose wallet is this?" pefect=
ly natural.=A0 Don't tell my students.