ATEG Archives

February 2009

From:
Craig Hancock <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 6 Feb 2009 13:03:44 -0500
Bob,
   There's no real sense in arguing this out on line since, as you know
full well, neither one of us is presenting a personal position. If you
say "It's true" that grammar and vocabulary are distinct, you are really
saying that you buy into that view of it. I am saying I am much more
swayed by the functional and cognitive claim that they are intertwined.
   Any theory of language acquisition has to account for automaticity.
The fact that some aspects of grammar are below our current conscious
radar is not "proof" that they were never learned. Cognitive linguistics
has taken on that question very seriously, and I find their explanations
very convincing.
   I use the term "mentoring" very carefully, as opposed to
"instruction", which probably brings in workbook images and the like. It
may make more sense to say that language is "learned" than it is that it
is taught, but it is always learned interactively. It involves intention
reading and pattern finding, which are normal cognitive processes. I
like Tomasello's notion of a "joint attentional frame" to describe
moments in which two people are attending to the same phenomena, perhaps
finding ways to embody it in words. Those of us who raise our children
well do that all the time.
   You and I have very different frames of reference for grammar. I see
a strong interconnection between grammar and genre. Even the corpus
grammars are finding empirical correlations between the kind of text and
the kind of grammar that is likely to occur. It is possible to see those
as functional patterns.
   If, in fact, language is learned and not just "activated", and if
interaction is a huge key to that, and if children differ radically in
the kinds of language they bring to school, then there are huge reasons
for rethinking our current practices.
   I don't expect us to agree, but it is not a personal argument. If
Langacker and company, Halliday and company are right, then there is a
far more compelling argument for direct exploration of language,
including grammar, in the schools. Grammar is not just a biological
process with a small social layer on top. It is not just a set of habits
that occasionally need correcting. It is constantly evolving, deeply
connected to how we understand and function in the world.

Craig