ATEG Archives

July 2000

From:
David D Mulroy <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 20 Jul 2000 09:13:07 -0500
AMy,

Good point.  This occurred to me.  Maybe knowledge of formal grammar
could be compared with (say) literary knowledge as a predictor of general
vocabulary or maybe the question should concern the correlation between
understanding of grammatical categories and general cultural literacy, in
Hirsch's sense, rather than general vocabulary.  If understanding grammar
is really as valuable as we all believe it is, it ought to correlate with
SOMETHING. Anyway, thanks for the feedback!