ATEG Archives

September 2015

From:
GERALD W WALTON <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 29 Sep 2015 17:34:27 +0000
I do not think that "the position of the PP here is evidence that the content clause is not adequately analyzed as the direct object of the verb." In my opinion "the vacation" and "that they would fly to Paris" are very definitely the direct objects.

She arranged the vacation.
*She arranged with the family the vacation.
She arranged that they would fly to Paris.
She arranged with the family that they would fly to Paris.

To me such labels as "noun clause" are helpful and do not cause the "what must be so" reasoning.
Gerald