ATEG Archives

March 1999

From:
"Wollin, Edith" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 25 Mar 1999 14:40:13 -0800
My vote is for the broader view.  I really want to get away from teaching
usage issues as much as possible while still helping people to the "standard
American English" dialect.  That standard is so busy changing that we are
hard pressed to define it, I suspect.  "Myself" is regularly used as a
non-reflexive subject or object now; I is regularly used as an object of a
preposition and as subject of some infinitives--He asked Jane and I to eat
with him.