ATEG Archives

July 2001

From:
Robert Einarsson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 18 Jul 2001 11:59:25 -0600
An excellent example in defense of the subjunctive.

I was intrigued to see the example using a Prime Minister, and
checked out Sophie's web site, which I see is located in Austraila.

I'd like to suggest a slightly ammended version for anyone using
this example in Canada:

"The Prime Minister insisted that the people be kept completely in
the dark!"

Anyway, good example Sophie.

From:                   Sophie Johnson <[log in to unmask]>
Subject:                Re: "in case" and "lest S should"
To:                     [log in to unmask]

> Edith, the subjunctive is in my head too - and staying there. I cannot
> accept its demise, for reason alone that such an event would deprive us of
> a statement-making facility. E.g.: `The Prime Minister insisted that the
> people are informed' and `The Prime Minister insisted that the people be
> informed' make obviously different statements. If subjunctive forms really
> were in pegging-out mode then we should not be unable to recognise the
> difference.
>
> Sophie Johnson
> English Grammar Tutor
> http://www.englishgrammartutor.com