ATEG Archives

September 2006

From:
Geoffrey Layton <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 12 Sep 2006 18:01:33 -0500
>Please, how does the word "however" "communicate . . . when information"?
> >Christine Gray

Let me respond to this a little more fully - as I said, "however" obviously
doesn't communicate anything of the kind.  But pointing out my error nicely
ignores the point - specifically, that what you call grammatical terms (and
this list conducts seemingly endless naming and defining discussions) makes
absolutely no difference in the ability of a student to produce meaning.

In other words, students don't write nouns and verbs and adjective and
adverbs (conjunctinve or otherwise); they create meaning.  And my contention
is that most meaning can be categorized in the journalists'
"who-what-why-when-where-how" litanny.

When information, for example, is created using very specific "when words" -
words that every student knows and that they can learn how and when to use.
It doesn't matter whether you're a world famous journalist or a freshman
high school student - everyone has to use when words to create when
information (and, of course, "however" isn't one of them!).  Similary, there
are "where words", "why words," etc.  You get the point (I hope).  Students
can learn how to write using this type of information much more easily than
trying to figure out the care and feeding of a conjunctive adverb.

This approach actually makes grammar an exceptionally useful tool in
teaching students how to write - what I call "writing in the context of
grammar."  An added benefit is that nobody ever talks about conjunctive
adverbs.

Geoff Layton