ATEG Archives

September 2008

From:
Craig Hancock <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 5 Sep 2008 09:41:56 -0400
Brad,
   It's a big jump from "compelled by context" to "correct". Would that
be true of other choices as well? It would be easy to cut the first "he"
and the second "block" in the first sentence, but I would hardly call
them incorrect. "Reacher was hungry and [he] needed more coffee, so he
led Vaughn another block north and another [block] west to the dinner."
We can cut "the place was" and let "practically empty" follow a comma or
just use a "which" (one word replaces two). How about "Reacher stood
[for] a second and [then] slid into the booth....". If we can do without
"for" and "then", are they incorrect as well?
   We have a parallel situation with "will" when used as a mainly time
reference auxiliary. "The plane will leave/leaves in an hour." Would
"will leave" be incorrect as well?
   The point I'm trying to make, I guess, is that most people don't
equate correctness with "minimum words."

Craig