ATEG Archives

October 2009

From:
"STAHLKE, HERBERT F" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 29 Oct 2009 10:01:28 -0400
Craig,

My use of quotations seems more like what you're suggesting, but mine has been shaped/contaminated by years of computer programming, where quotes are used to bound literals, rather like their use when you want to narrow a Google search.  I have not seen an clear articulation of this, and I think editors and truly rule-bound teachers will insist on including commas in periods within the quotation marks, even if they aren't a part of the quotation.  But for some reason, if I recall correctly, semicolons and question marks don't.  This is beginning to sound arcane and convoluted enough to make me wonder if rules for this vary with the teacher as much as understanding what passive voice does.

Herb

Herbert F. W. Stahlke, Ph.D.
Emeritus Professor of English
Ball State University