ATEG Archives

January 1999

From:
Michael Kischner <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 28 Jan 1999 16:14:06 -0800
Yes, I'm still with you t the end of 2 of 2.  Valences seem a very useful
way of discussing patterns.

One small note on a difference between ing participles and gerunds: you
don't have to torment students to get them to see a difference between
"the drinking horse" and "the drinking water."

As for calling past participles "passive" participles, I've actually taken
to doing that in class sometimes, but I have come upon instances of
participles that -- to use Johanna Rubba's information about "scanning" --
are hard to "scan" as passives.  I can't think of a good one right now,
but "flushed" as in "flushed with shame, he pointed to the empty cookie
jar" might serve.  Or "Buried for twelve centuries, the documents were
discovered by construction workers."  "BUried" here refers to a condition,
not a received action.