ATEG Archives

October 2005

From:
Elmborg Ann <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 6 Oct 2005 14:52:31 -0500
Amanda,

The sources you searched seem to be the ones I have used to find any indication that DOL is supported by research.  I am a curriculum facilitator in Cedar Rapids, IA, so the concerns you express in your last paragraph are also my concerns.  Many teachers seem to rely on DOL as a class starter activity, but I am not sure that anyone has any real sense of what it is supposed to do, or whether it does that.  Never mind that used as DOL nearly always is as a class-starting activity, any lessons students draw from it occur in as much isolation as grammar instruction sometimes occurred in days of yore.

I am wondering if McDougall Littell, the publishers of the original DOL (I think), have any research that preceded their introduction of the program, or if someone just sold them a "cool" program.

Thank you for your thoughtful response.  I will find the Whittingham study and read it.  Whenever you have your results in "shareable" form, I would very much like to read them, as well.

Ann