ATEG Archives

February 1998

From:
Michael Kischner <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 5 Feb 1998 17:24:01 -0800
In case you've missed it in the ATEG newsletter or previous listserv
notices, please think about submitting papers or presentation proposals
for this year's annual conference in Seattle.  Please also (a) tell your
friends and (b) send me the names and addresses of any individuals or
institutions you think should know about it.  The conferences are
wonderful informal, informative, productive affairs for people from K-12
through graduate school who are interested in grammar and language.
Seattle in July can be beautiful, and we (Edith Wollin and I, co-local
chairs, and the people of Seattle) will strive to continue the
tradition of warm hospitality that Edith and I have enjoyed at the two
past conferences.

A two-day pre-conference mini-course is in the process of being put
together.  It will be on grammar in the writing class.  Day 1 will focus
on what grammar to teach in the writing class; Day 2 will focus on how to
teach it.  The faculty is stellar:  Martha Kolln, Rei Noguchi, and Loretta
Gray.  Credit will be available through Central Washington University.

Conference registration will be $85 for pre-registration, $95 at the
conference.  Fees for the mini-course -- not yet finally set -- will
probably be $30 for pre-registration and $40 at the conference.  Credit
from Central Washington will entail an additional cost.

Accommodations will be at the Ramada Inn, Northgate.  This is walking
distance to North Seattle Community College, where the meetings will be,
and about twelve minutes from downtown Seattle by hotel shuttle.  Rooms
will be $85, single or double, and we will try to pair people up with
roommates if they want them.  (Yes, the conference will no doubt get into
pronoun reference.  Last year or the year before, Brock Haussamen was
brilliant on the subject.)

Proposals are invited for papers, workshops, or panels on any topic
connected to the teaching of grammar from K-12 through graduate school.
They should be sent directly to Martha Kolln, 3628 Buffalo Run Road,
Bellefonte, PA 16823.  Tel. (814) 355-4666.

Send conference inquiries AND NAMES AND ADDRESSES OF INDIVIDUALS OR
INSTITUTIONS THAT SHOULD KNOW ABOUT THIS CONFERENCE to:

Michael Kischner
North Seattle Community College
Seattle, WA 98103
tel. (206) 528-4540