ATEG Archives

April 2011

From:
Jan Kammert <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 5 Apr 2011 10:44:27 -0400
This is copied from the article.

   "In similar fashion, when a new group of participants witnessed
ablim used postnominally, but this time in a context in which there was
a reason for its postnominal use that had nothing to do with ablim
itself, participants did not learn a restriction against ablim's
prenominal use. "

Can anyone give me an example of postnominal use of an adjective with a
reason?

Thanks!
Jan

Quoting "Spruiell, William C" <[log in to unmask]>:

   I ran into this on ScienceDaily, and thought some among the list
membership might find it interesting and/or useful (the article it’s
reporting on is in Language, so if you’ve got an LSA membership, you
already have it). It’s on strategies that learners use to infer
likely grammatical behavior of novel words.

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2011/03/110315093029.htm

   --- Bill Spruiell
interface at: http://listserv.muohio.edu/archives/ateg.html and select