ATEG Archives

April 2009

From:
Edmond Wright <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 10 Apr 2009 11:19:41 +0100
>A nice example of a series of adpositions comes in 'As You Like It' (Act V, sc.
iv, ll. 70-102):

TOUCHSTONE:  . . . As thus, sir.  I did dislike the cut of a certain
courtier's beard:  he sent me word, if I said his beard was not cut well, he
was in the mind it was:  this is called the Retort Courteous.  If I sent him
word again it was not well cut, he would send me word that he cut it to
please himself:  this is called the Quip Modest.  If again it was not well
cut, he disabled my judgement:  this is called the Reply Churlish.  If again
it was not well cut, he would answer I spake not true;  this is called the
Reproof Valiant.  If again it was not well cut, he would say I lie:  this is
called the Countercheck Quarrelsome: and so to the Lie Circumstantial and
the Lie Direct.

JAQUES:  And how oft did you say his beard was not well cut?

TOUCHSTONE:  I durst go no further than the Lie Circumstantial, nor he durst
give me the Lie Direct;  and so we measured swords and parted.

JAQUES:  Can you nominate in order now the degrees of the lie?

TOUCHSTONE:  O sir, we quarrel in print, by the book;  as you have books for
good manners.  I will name you the degrees.  The first, the Retort
Courteous;  the second, the Quip Modest;  the third, the Reply Churlish;
the fourth, the Reproof Valiant;  the fifth, the Countercheck Quarrelsome;
the sixth, the Lie with Circumstance;  the seventh, the Lie Direct.  All
these you may avoid but the Lie Direct;  and you may avoid that too with an
'if'.  I knew when seven justices could not take up a quarrel;  but when the
parties were met themselves, one of them thought but of an 'if', as, 'If you
said so, then I said so;'  and they shook hands, and swore brothers.  Your
'if' is the only peacemaker;  much virtue in 'if.'

(This is a telling example of the Fool's wisdom.)

Incidentally, the use of 'your' in the last sentence as a generalizing word
has disappeared from English, both British and American.  See also its use
by the Gravedigger in 'Hamlet' (V, I, 176-7):  '. . . Your water is a sore
decayer of your whoreson dead body'.

Edmond

Dr. Edmond Wright
3 Boathouse Court