ATEG Archives

April 2009

From:
Karl Hagen <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 6 Apr 2009 07:50:51 -0700
It's not an absurd interpretation at all, Bruce.

The first two accommodations are common in many different settings, including
high stakes tests like the SAT and the ACT. A special location and extended
time are necessary for some children to be able to focus on the task, and in
some cases necessary to allow the other children to focus. It would be highly
tendentious to call either of those accommodations "cheating." Forcing a child
who can't cope with a normal testing environment (for example, because he
needs to get up and walk around every few minutes) to take a test in one
simply imposes a barrier that is irrelevant to the goal of the test (measuring
what the student knows or can do).

The open-book accommodation would appear to be where the real potential for
something that can reasonably be called cheating lies, if the test depends on
memorized facts more than on analysis, but under either interpretation this is
at the teacher's discretion.

And, of course, if the special-ed teacher is going beyond the specified
accommodations and actively helping the student, that would be cheating too,
but that would have nothing to do with the grammatical interpretation of the IEP.

Karl