ATEG Archives

June 2011

From:
"Spruiell, William C" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 1 Jun 2011 16:05:41 +0000
TJ:

Below, I'm trying to address the question you said I was begging. On the whole issue of clauses, I was mainly concerned to point out that there are multiple ways the term is defined (emphasizing this for Scott as well). In a classroom, I think we need to acknowledge that infinitives, gerunds, and participials are kinda clausy; past that, the deciding issues are going to be basic consistency and what the students' later curriculum is expecting. I saw the situation as being roughly equivalent to the one in which someone from Texas says "real chili can't have beans in it" and the person from New Mexico looks baffled (or indignant).

Regarding "understood as subject": If we use a version with a pronoun after "want," it's clear that it has to be objective ("I want them to eat vegetables"). Trying to say that "them" is the subject of "eat" creates a headache you need to deal with, somehow (with the same going for the objective or genitive "subjecty" element in some gerunds). There are multiple ways to define the term "subject," but objective/genitive marking doesn't go naturally with any of them. Most of the terminological mess here is simply a result of different linguists trying to think of ways out of that bind that don't cause their theories to crash and burn somewhere else.

In generative-esque theories, there's usually the equivalent of an alarm bell that goes off if a verb doesn't have the right number of things with it; since the grammar isn't driven by the semantics in these theories, you need some structural device to rule out sentences like "I put" and "I ate a sandwich a weasel" (the alarm bell is rather unhelpfully called a theta-filter, for no very good reason I can figure out other than that it sounds sciency). And there's another alarm that goes off if there's the wrong case-marking on something. So if you're working in one of these theories, you can't just say that "them" is understood as the subject of "eat." You have to give "eat" a "they" to make it happy, even if it's just a "they" that only the "eat" can see.  If you imagine that you start with "I want that they eat vegetables" and then some rearrangements occur, you can make it work. My use of "at some level of representation" was a dodge; I don't  understand what generativists think the representations *are* really, other than they're not pseudo-sentences that get turned into real ones in actual processing. I don't work in these theories (or like them much), so don't take that as evidence that there's no good definition -- I just don't know what it is. "Abstract formal relation" comes up a lot, but that's a description, not a definition.

Sincerely,

Bill Spruiell