ATEG Archives

October 1997

From:
Marie Nelson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 6 Oct 1997 02:02:52 -0700
Alan asked:

 My question, then, is: can you use "must" in the
past, particularly since> the context makes it clear that the author
is referring to people who lived> long ago?> > Here's part of the
sentence:> >

"Since women were an integral part of a group that had not taken the>
concept of individualism to its extremes [...] their behavior *must*>
reflect their respect for tradition."> > Anxiously awaiting your
opinions,> > Alan Hynds> -------------------
---------------------

Alan, It's been years since I've studied linguistics and various kinds of
grammars, but if my memorry serves me correctly, must is often viewed as a
modal, the past tense of which--mought, I believe--is now archaic. If I
were writing that sentence, I would use "must have reflected."  If you
want to make the meaning still stronger, I suppose you could use "had to
have reflected."  I find thee latter a bit too strong for (most)
historical reconstructions, but as the translator, I realize, you have an
obligation to reflect the author's intent.

Marie
Marie Wilson Nelson
National-Louis University