ATEG Archives

February 1996

From:
Wanda VanGoor <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 14 Feb 1996 15:13:00 -0500
We have a strong grammar course at Prince George's Community College; at
one point we even had both the introductory course and an advanced one!

Our students vary.  We nearly always have a few who are teachers or
would-be teachers looking for certification, several secretaries trying
to upgrade their jobs to editor, and others referred to the course by
teachers.  We used to get lots of students who were afraid to tackle English
101 without more grammar background (that group has about disappeared since
we instituted a bridge course between developmental English and regular
English).

Three of us teach it.  Bill Mullinix and I use a text I wrote: -Grammar:
A Good Beginning.-  It's available from our bookstore for $12.  Bill and
I have decided it is too detailed for our students, but I haven't revised
it yet!  Diana Hacker uses her own Bedford Handbook and copies for her
students (from -Grammar: A Good Beginning-) the information and exercises on
the neat diagramming system we've adapted.

If I can be of other specific help, feel free to ask.  Have fun--it's a
great course!