ATEG Archives

August 2006

From:
Geoffrey Layton <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 24 Aug 2006 21:13:42 -0500
I may be the guilty party who has disturbed Eduard with my post about the
futility of conducting
"parts of speech" hunts ["Find the (PART OF SPEECH HERE) in the following
sentences."]  To summarize, I have found it worse than useless to try to
teach this type of "grammar," so if this is what Eduard is referring to, I
plead guilty.

However, he is dead wrong believing that those of us who dislike teaching
the ESL grammar that Eduard is apparently referring to are "grammar haters."
  I consider myself a lover of grammar almost beyond measure.

In fact, my contention is that if sentence construction is what is meant by
grammar, then grammar should not be taught in the context of writing (is
this still the current cliche?), but that grammar is so important that
writing should be taught in the context of grammar.  It is grammar that
allows the construction of meaning; meaning is produced by the way sentences
are constructed; and sentences are constructed through the use of grammar.

What seems difficult for Eduard to grasp is that elegant, graceful sentences
are not constructed by learning, for example, that the word "running" can be
used as a noun, an adjective, and a verb.  As an ESL student, it may be
helpful to learn this information.  Native speakers, however, already know
that "I bought a pair of run shoes" is incorrect, as is "I am run to the
store" as is "Run is fun" and would never write a sentence such as these.
In addition, such parts of speech knowledge is never required on any
standardized test.

So the question is not whether we are grammar lovers or haters, but rather
what kind of grammar do we love?

Geoff Layton

From:  Eduard C. Hanganu