ATEG Archives

February 2009

From:
"STAHLKE, HERBERT F" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 24 Feb 2009 23:39:12 -0500
I've been following this debate from the sidelines, partly because it sounds too much like too many arguments about ideology or religion and partly because I'm not entirely sure of my own position on competence and performance, what they define, and what their relevance is to pedagogy.  Craig, Bill, and Bob have carried on a thoughtful and stimulating discussion on these matters that I have enjoyed and that I appreciate for the thought, expertise, and passion that has gone into it.

When I was in grad school in the late 60s, one piece of required reading in syntax classes was Paul Postal's Constituent Structure, a stern polemic against all non-generative theories of grammar.  Postal's rhetorical technique was to restate a particular model, Pike's Tagmemics or Lamb's Stratificational Grammar or any of several others, strictly in the terms of the then current transformational-generative model.  Stated in those terms, of course, the other models lost a good bit of their subtlety, and anything they had to offer that could not be stated in terms of Postal's model was simply left out.  The fact, for example, that tagmemics grew out of and encoded some of the most powerful heuristics ever developed for linguistic field work and analysis was not to be valued.  Collecting and classifying data was not what linguistics was about.

I don't want to suggest that anyone is doing in this discussion what Postal did in his book, certainly not in the same brutal tone, but the treatment of competence and performance reflects of similar tendency to define others' positions in terms of one's own.  Generative linguistics, for want of a better term, uses its competence/performance distinction as a theoretical prime allowing a clear partitioning of linguistic data into that which represents native speaker competence and that which reflects behavioral and social interference with the production and comprehension of sentences so that sentences may be produced or interpreted in ways that competence would not allow. Competence gets operationalized in reliance on native speaker intuition as primary data.  There are good reasons for doing linguistics this way.  One of the traps that extreme pre-generative structuralists fell into was treating all native speaker production as grist for linguistic description, with no judgment of grammaticality.  The reliance on native speaker competence provided a reasonably principled way to partition data into what the grammar should deal with and what should be left to behavior and social scientists.

Competence has a hard time, however, in dealing with subjects like a native speaker's sense of degree of variation.  One of the early findings in Labov's work and that of his students was that members of a speech community could tell where a person fit in that community of the basis of frequency of use of certain linguistic markers, whether final consonant deletion, copula deletion, or, in Canadian French, deletion of que.  The ability to distinguish and control ranges of variation were part of the speaker's knowledge of his or her language.  Labov proposed variable rules to account for this, but the generative model never became comfortable with such variation, and variable rules rarely make it into generative accounts of linguistic phenomena.

While most linguists, whatever their theoretical orientation, recognize that there are things that native speakers know and things that they do that don't conform to this knowledge, not all theories find that distinguishing these as competence and performance has much yield for doing linguistics.  When Bob suggests that functionalists, which I think he acknowledges is too broad a category to be useful, deal only with performance or ignore competence or can't distinguish properly between them, he imposes his competence/ performance distinction on the discourse of the broader field.  This is where I find Bob's argumentation similar to Postal's:  he recasts other theories in the terms and categories of his own.  The phenomena, like native speaker judgment, that the distinction helps him to define are addressed by other theories as well but not with the same sort of categorization.

It has to be possible to use more neutral terms, like native speaker knowledge perhaps and recognize that some part of this is what generative grammar calls competence but that it might not be useful in another model to categorize native speaker knowledge in just this way.

I haven't discussed any data or specific examples in this bit of rhetorical analysis because I'm attempting a sort of metadiscussion of the conversation that's been going on, not always a satisfying thing for a linguist to do who loves data-mongering.

Herb