ATEG Archives

March 2005

From:
"Veit, Richard" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 9 Mar 2005 13:39:42 -0500
Bob:

I don't see the problem. Be, do, etc. are all nonfinite forms in the
imperative sentences you cite. I certainly don't assume there is any
underlying "will" or any other modal in imperatives. Negatives require a
helping verb; when none is present, "do" is inserted. Declarative and
interrogative moods trigger inflection of "do," but imperative mood does
not.

The one verb whose 2nd person (finite) form is different from its
nonfinite form is "be." "You are" vs. "to be." The fact that the command
is "Be brave" rather than "Are brave" indicates that commands take
nonfinite forms of the verb.

Dick Veit

Richard Veit
Department of English, UNCW