ATEG Archives

February 2009

From:
Craig Hancock <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 3 Feb 2009 17:27:36 -0500
Bob,
   I thought this was a no-brainer. I would recommend Labov's "Language in
the Inner city" as well as Smitherman's work, but I assume you have
read them. Black English is not simply a broken form of standard
English, and the cultural patterns that come with it differ as well.
Certainly the rhetoric of Obama's pastor shocked people in part because
they had no way to put it into its cultural context. Many mainstream
Americans don't know what to make of rap. My students are very aware
that their community languages seem out of place in many situations.
   For my students, I would also include Spanglish and a number of hybrid
dialects. Their paths toward language maturity are very different.

Craig>

 What does the following mean?