ATEG Archives

June 2011

From:
Craig Hancock <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 8 Jun 2011 14:05:12 -0400
     I have been working with a local urban high school on development
of a writing/reading curriculum for a Transitions Program (8th grade to
high school) for their most at risk students. As one result of that
collaboration, I have been invited to have a role in rewriting their
overall English curriculum. My own contribution, I suspect, will focus
in on a language awareness component, one focused much more on
competence than on error.  I would love to be able to point to
successful implementation of that in other schools. They are also trying
to encourage more writing across the curriculum and have been meeting
resistance to that among content faculty, so I would be interested in
hearing about successful integration of writing in the content areas at
the high school level. Are there high schools out there that have
Writing Centers or at least widespread writing support?
    Any help I can get would be much appreciated.

Craig