ATEG Archives

February 2008

From:
"O'Sullivan, Brian P" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 7 Feb 2008 09:50:16 -0500
I mentored a project that was vaguely like the one you describe; my student was trying to understand why she hadn't been required to study more grammar throughout her education, and she was ultimately arguing for more grammar education. One source that she found important early on was the "Grammar" entry, by W. Ross Winterowd, in The Encyclopedia of Composition and Rhetoric (Theresa Enos, ed.) It was especially useful as an introduction to the assertion that "massive evidence leads one to conclude that systematic grammatical study of any kind does not improve one's writing or speaking ability." Winterowd offers a list of articles as examples of this "massive evidence," and several of articles those became important to my student's history and to her argument--if only as counterarguments.

Brian O'Sullivan, Ph.D.
Assistant Professor of English
Director of the Writing Center
St. Mary’s College of Maryland