ATEG Archives

December 1997

From:
Jim Dubinsky <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 5 Dec 1997 16:23:03 -0500
Dear Fellow ATEG list members:

I writing to explain why you keep seeing my name in the "from" line of the
postings.  It is not because I like seeing my name in "print" or because I
am looking for name recognition (although since I'm on the job market . . .
).  I am moderating the list to stop the flow of junk mail.  I became
concerned that we were losing members due to the unusual amount of junk
mail traffic.  During the period of the intensive junk mail bombardment
(faxes, etc.), we lost 10 members.  I imagine they all didn't leave due to
the junk mail, but I had to believe some, and perhaps most, of them did.

The moderation is working; this week alone, I've caught 7 messages that
have made it through the university's filtering system.

In the past I've been opposed to moderation, but given the number of junk
mail messages we experienced, I felt obligated to take action.  I am not
acting as a censor of any valid ATEG member's mail.  I forward the messages
as soon as I can.  With the exception of two messages that were
misaddressed (and I emailed the senders personally), the only messages I
haven't forwarded have been those that have been junk mail.

AS soon as I see a period of limited junk mail, I will change the list back
to an unmoderated status.  OR I will change it back if I get a lot of mail
from you telling me that you don't care about the junk mail.  Feel free to
comment on this issue by sending me mail directly or by sending a note to
the list.

I apologize for not asking your permission; it is your list.

Jim Dubinsky                      l Miami University, Hamilton
[log in to unmask]          l Hamilton, OH 45011
http://miavx1.muohio.edu/~jdubinsky
"It's a long way from sparks to fire."