ATEG Archives

June 2009

From:
"O'Sullivan, Brian P" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 9 Jun 2009 01:03:04 -0400
Do you think that the insistence that every paper should have a thesis, along with the related insistence that everything is an argument, has come as a reaction against Bain's "modes of discourse" and all the many textbooks that incorporated that theory? As i understand it, the modes artificially and reductively turned the functions of persuasion, description and exposition into separate genres which often seemed vacuum-packed rather than overlapping or interpenetrating. So some students learned that a "thesis" was only needed in something called a "perusaisve essay" or a" thesis-support essay"--and this, in turn, seemed to mean that other kinds of writing, like description or personal narrative, didn't need a point or a sense of rhetorical purpose.

This assumption--or rather, learned belief-- on the part of students was one of my pet peeves when I started teaching writing; so I tried to get students to have some kind of "thesis" in everything they wrote. Now I still try to get them to have a sense of rhetorical purpose in pretty much everything, except maybe journals written only for themselves; but I try to be clearer that this purpose doesn't always (depending on genre on rhetorical situation) have to be something that could easily be summarized in a sentence or two.

Brian