ATEG Archives

September 2011

From:
"Hancock, Craig G" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 4 Sep 2011 22:09:42 -0400
Dick,
    Everything you say is very clear and sensible, and I would agree with it. I have made the same arguments, or tried to, in my classes. Yet I have become increasingly uncomfortable with the position over the last few years. It's not that it's wrong, so much, as that it relies very heavily on thinking about grammar as a formal system. It's true in a very limited domain.
    You could make somewhat the same case about vocabulary. With few exceptions, our students are experts in vocabulary in that the words which they are using are being used in ways close to the ways they are being used by those around them. If they have non-mainstream ways of using a word, chances are good they share those non-mainstream uses with a community of users. And describing that knowledge would certainly take a great deal more than a single semester. Plato (Socrates), if my memory is correct, made the argument that the concepts tied to those words are innate. But I believe if you tried to make the case that our students are masters of vocabulary, you would be met with a very different kind of resistance than you get from making that claim about grammar. What they know about words is sophisticated and complex, and they may have a hard time describing that knowledge to us, but it's not enough.
    If knowledge of grammar is separate from putting that knowledge to work in the world, and if our prime focus is on whether the forms being used are "grammatical" (shared by others), it's easy to say that the grammar the child has is an expert grammar. But if grammar is inherently functional, then the fact they they are "poor writers" and "inarticulate speakers" means that they lack expertise, a very critical expertise, which comes with full acquisition of a grammar. If the "domain of grammar" includes use (and not simply correctness), then they are not experts.
    From a functional view, we can't fall back on the notion that the grammar is already there or will inevitably happen on its own (more or less biologically, as Pinker would have it.) We have to more or less mentor it into being. Automaticity is a feature of language that allows for attention to be more centrally on meaning while some kinds of processing are happening at a below conscious level. The grammar the student presents in production has become automatic, and we certainly need to respect what the student knows, even unconsciously, as we mentor progress. But we seem to be missing the eight hundred pound gorilla in the room--far too many students are far too inarticulate. It has become far too easy for educators to ignore grammar (other than error) when addressing that very real problem. If the teaching of grammar is primarily a description of forms or of the rules for the generation of forms, then the gap between grammar and the higher aspects of literacy seems very wide. But if the domain of grammar includes the production of effective text, then there is no gap at all. One can't happen without implicating the other.

Craig