ATEG Archives

September 2006

From:
Craig Hancock <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 11 Sep 2006 15:17:24 -0400
Phil,
   I make somewhat similar distinctions, though I tend to do it in
relation to clauses before I do it with punctuation. (How do decisions
about what comes in the main clause influence emphasis and so on.)
   I think one of your forms would be a run-on sentence.
(B...,however,B...)  Maybe I'm misreading it.
   "We wanted to go, however, we couldn't get permission." However much we
might want to find it acceptable, traditional grammar doesn't accept
"however" as subordinating. It would be a "run-on sentence" in
traditional grammar.
   I like to teach the standard conjunctions thought of as coordinate, but
I'm not sure I understand the logic of the classifications. Certainly
"and" "but" and "Or/nor" leave both sides equal, but I'm not so sure
about "so", "for", and "yet." Don't "for" and "because" seem awful
similar at times? For convention sake, though, it helps to know a
clause can stand alone with these at its head.
  "He felt he must go, for he had promised his dying father." "He wanted
to go. For he had promised his dying father." "He wanted to go. Because
he had promised his dying father." This last would be a sentence
fragment.
   Does it help that some of our rules seem arbitrary? My experience has
been that students are grateful when we point this out. If they are
going to jump through arbitrary hoops, they like to have it
acknowledged.

Craig

I like to tell students that the secret to English punctuation lies in