ATEG Archives

April 2006

From:
Craig Hancock <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 3 Apr 2006 07:37:41 -0400
Gretchen,
   I think it's important that we have some idea of what we want students
to do (eventually) and a strong sense of what they need to know to get
there and make some progress along those lines from year to year.  If
the sixth grade curriculum was followed, (though you should ask your
sixth grade teacher rather than the state standards), you may be able
to build on that. Here are some quick responses to the sixth grade
list:
1)  Students have been using simple, compound, and complex sentences
almost all their talking lives.  It's a little like saying "students will
grow taller and observe new things." They do it already. On the other
hand, it would be good for them to know what a clause is, know they
already compound them, know that some clauses downrank into a lesser role
in the sentence. It's hard to tackle clause without dealing with
phrases.(In other words, you have a better chance at being successful by
being somewhat comprehensive.  Words, phrases, clauses, sentences.)
2) Effective coordination and subordination is a nice goal, but don't
forget that they have been doing that for years.  We are simply asking the
question about when it's effective and when it's not. Is that effective
within the sentence or effective in reaching an audience?  What do they
mean by "complete thought"?  My guess is they don't want sentence
fragments, but the goal of effective coordination and the goal of
"complete thought" are at odds with each other.  Sentences can vary widely
in the way they are organized and in the amount of content they contain.
In the same rule, they are mixing philosophies of language.  If you do
one, you can't do the other.    >
3) "Identify and "properly" use various verb forms."  Do verb forms not
have meaning functions? Why do we need to identify them?  What do we mean
by "proper"? Is it important enough to state as a major goal that verbs
should agree with compound subjects? Do these people know that most
grammarians don't beleive we have a future tense?  Is perfect a tense, or
is it an aspect? What does aspect do when it shows up?
   I could go on in this way, but the point, I hope, has been made.  These
people have not come up with a sequence of standards that makes any
sense.
   I like the idea of finding written work they admire (including their
own) and trying to figure out how it works.  Avoiding error seems a
terrible goal. These are not easy issues, but it's hard to forgive
anyone doing it this badly.

Craig

Hi,