ATEG Archives

October 2007

From:
Ronald Sheen <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 13 Oct 2007 02:57:44 -0700
Herb,

My problem with your calling 'look after' (and subsequently 'look at') a
transitive verb creates a serious problem in terms of how I have taught
phrasal verbs for many years.

In ESL terms, there are four purposes in teaching about phrasal verbs.

First, in the case of francophones (and most ESL learners), they have to be
encouraged to use phrasal verbs as much as possible and this, because
phrasal verbs constitute the essence of English colloguial speech and are
not present in their own language.

Second, they need to understand the amazing productivity of phrasal verbs in
creating new figurative meanings which they need to be encouraged to add to
their vocab.

Third, they have to become used to thinking of phrasal verbs as verbs plus
adverbial particles, and this, because their own languages do not have
phrasal verbs (though they do have prepositional verbs).  Consequently, they
demonstrate a tendency to use verbs without the particle.  I remember a
(highly fluent speaker of English) French colleague telling me to 'pick a
book' I had dropped.  Similarly, last week, an Indian lady here in Dubai who
had spoken English from a very early age, told me that she would 'pick her
son at 7 o'clock'.   Thus, in both cases, 'up' was omitted.

Fourth, (and most importantly in the context of the present discussion), we
have to teach ESL students to distinguish between transitive phrasal verbs
and prepositional verbs in order that they understand (and learn to produce)
why they can say  both 'He looked up the word' and 'He looked the word up'
but cannot do the same with 'look at' and other prepostional verbs.

It is for this reason, Herb, that I would prefer NOT to teach ESL students
that verbs such as 'look after' are transitive verbs.  It makes far more
sense pedagogically to treat 'his mother' in 'He looked after his mother'
as the object of the preposition and not of the verb.

Ron Sheen