ATEG Archives

February 2009

From:
Craig Hancock <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 10 Feb 2009 13:35:59 -0500
Ed,
    I think you are making very thoughftul and consistent choices. In my
case, I have to decide what to cover in a single college semester to
fit a one-semester overview (which I'm now teaching). Like you, I have
students tell me right away that they find it useful. Some have come
back years later to make the point again.
   I think what Debra Myhill was saying in the article I quoted earlier is
that we can't expect to "show" that grammar improves writing until we
can theorize a connection between them. Being able to identify
constructions is a wonderful step. To the extent that we can theorize
how that knowledge can be put to work in making decisions as a writer,
we can maybe design a way to measure the effect. If you are teaching a
basically formal grammar, that means adding additional steps putting
that knowledge to work.
   I had wonderful Junior High teachers (both male, by the way) who taught
grammar through Reed-Kellog diagrams. That base of undersgtanding has
been priceless to me over the years in ways they never would have
predicted. I'm very happy the anti-grammar revolution hadn't hit yet.
Now that it's here, we may need to make the payoff connections much
more explicit.
   In the meantime, KISS is available. I will continue to support your
project.

Craig