ATEG Archives

April 2008

From:
"STAHLKE, HERBERT F" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 25 Apr 2008 23:18:58 -0400
That's an interesting observation, Bruce.  I wonder if it might be a
function of animacy constraints, that it's more difficult to make
possessors of inanimates.  Clearly we can use "its" as a genitive
determiner but not without a head.  I suspect Craig or Johanna, with
their deeper knowledge of cognitive grammar, could address this better.

Herb

Notice that in the list that Craig made the word "its" is missing.  This

"determiner" cannot be used by itself.

*I drank from Craig's cup and the baby from its.

Maybe this is all right for some people, but it seems strange to me.