ATEG Archives

February 2009

From:
Craig Hancock <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 3 Feb 2009 17:11:52 -0500
Ed,
   I would disagree with you on passives, though I'm confused about why
you would say you introduce it in fifth grade but don't feel students
need to learn it. Are you making a distinction between the KISS program
and your college teaching? In an ideal world, wouldn't passive verbs
(and their function) be a natural part of the curriculum? They seem to
me important to discourse decisions. And students need to deal with the
computer grammar checks, which routinely underline them as wrong. I
find them important to my own understanding.
   I'm also troubled by the routine assumption that language development
occurs "without instruction." Certainly, we are capable of learning all
kinds of things from observing what's going on around us, languaqe
included, but this seems to me to routinely downplay the possible kinds
of interactions that would help mentor the process. The argument
against making language a major part of the curriculum depends on a
belief (I think mistaken) that it just happens.
   When you say appositives should be taught, do you mean recognition?
Use? I like to make the point that entities can be named over and over
again, and that seems to help, at least at the college level. George
Will is more than just a well-known columnist, so appositives
(renaming) can happen forever. He's also a passionate baseball fan,
though that may not be relevant to the context. And he's not an example
I would use for my students. Maybe Oprah? Perhaps it's the "cognitive"
and functional recognitions that matter the most. At least at the
college level, students seem to get it quickly.
   What knowledge about language helps in discussions about putting
language to work? Can we build that knowledge about language as we
mentor students into different language worlds, including the world of
school? I think those would be my central questions.

Craig

Craig,