ATEG Archives

February 2000

From:
Jean Waldman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 1 Feb 2000 08:11:55 -0500
Hi Bob,

To hark back, thank God I’m not alone in my opinion of Krashen’s work.

One important thing we need to clear up:  People are proud to think
differently.

What we all need to understand is that every person is the best (or else
has a serious psychological problem) and every cultural and religious
group is the best to its members.  Different practices and value systems
are always the best for the people who practice them.  Naturally, this
goes for pronunciation and grammatical structures, too.  Yes, we need a
standard, but as a lingua-franca.  English is a national language in
India, although  it is nobody’s native language;  the point is, we
should never imply that one form is better than another, just that it’s
useful in appropriate situations, and therefore necessary to know.

Jean Waldman
University of Md.