ATEG Archives

February 2008

From:
Kevin Dwyer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 27 Feb 2008 03:08:57 -0500
Scott,

For almost 20 years, Carl Bosma at Calvin Theological Seminary in
Grand Rapids, MI has used system similar to this to interpret
classical Hebrew texts; he learned the process in The Netherlands.
"Clausal delimitation" is the backbone of the approach. In Hebrew,
every word string containing a verbal of any sort (e.g., an
infinitive) is considered a clause. Rules govern how far a Hebrew
clause is to be indented. Of course, in Hebrew that means selecting
"flush right" in your word processor. However, I've used the same
method with a "literal" English Bible translation (the American
Standard Version works best) as a quick and dirty, yet useful, means
to the same end. The resulting "shape of the text," especially in
narratives, will invariably point to the central point of the textual
unit.

Kevin Dwyer