ATEG Archives

September 2008

From:
Laura Oliver <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 25 Sep 2008 11:48:14 -0500
Hello--

I am just a lowly 10th grade English teacher (an English MINOR at that), but I teach
my students that the participial phrase modifies the element closest to it in the
sentence.  I would classify #2 as a misplaced modifier because it conveys the sense
that the tears were trying to be brave.  I would advise my students that #1 is the
sentence most easily understood because the modifier does not interrupt the flow
of the sentence.  That's a pragmatic analysis from one who lives her life "in the
trenches."

I have never had the benefit of a linguistics or advanced grammar class, so some
of your discussions strike me as akin to "how many angels can dance on the head
of a pin."  However, I am entertained, intrigued and at times edified by your
obvious commitment to classifying and parsing the minutest components of our
unwieldy, living language.  Thank you!

Laura Oliver
Pleasantville High School

From: John Crow <[log in to unmask]>