ATEG Archives

September 2008

From:
"Spruiell, William C" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 22 Sep 2008 13:59:52 -0400
To chime in on this point -- even if the teacher is talking about conventional standards, there's a big difference between knowing that a sentence needs to be changed at some point and knowing *why*. I came to English-teaching with a fairly good intuitive grasp of standard written English (it's the nerd effect -- substitute books for social interaction and voila!), but the first time a non-native English speaker asked me why I wanted to add the word "the" to a line, I realized that all I could say was, "Because it, er, sounds right that way." Knowing how to do something yourself doesn't automatically allow you to explain it well, and it certainly doesn't automatically allow you to put it into relation with *other* ways of doing the same thing.

Bill Spruiell
Dept. of English
Central Michigan University