ATEG Archives

August 2010

From:
Karl Hagen <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 16 Aug 2010 07:14:43 -0700
Don't worry about it Terre. No one else sees the error either, and it's
definitely not a British vs. American English thing. Brad has a view of
the perfect that is, to say the least, idiosyncratic, and he remains
impervious to correction despite years of people with far more knowledge
of grammar than he pointing out the mistakes in his conception.

His invidious distinction between linguists and grammarians is a
response to the continuing derision that his ideas have faced on this
list: if you don't agree with him, you're a horrible, head-in-the-clouds
linguist and can be dismissed. Never mind that he's never managed to
find a grammarian to agree with him.

Based on his comments, Brad appears to assume that the present perfect
can only have one meaning (action starting in the past and continuing to
the present).

There's a bit of irony there, in that he accepts the present perfect
when it was what those nasty linguists call "imperfective aspect" and
rejects it when it expresses "perfective aspect."

Given that Brad tends to reason about language error by inferring what
"must" be the case based on grammatical labels rather than on how people
actually use language, you'd think he'd go the opposite way.

Karl