ATEG Archives

December 2008

From:
Craig Hancock <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 7 Dec 2008 10:34:10 -0500
Bill,
   I'm not sure how hard to push these positions on the ATEG list, which
has to, almost by definition, be a big tent. I'm sure there are dangers
to placing blame.
   I don't think the problem is Chomsky so much as a long U.S. tradition
of seeing grammar in largely formal/descriptive versus prescriptive
terms. We want to know how to classify sentences and we want to know if
they are correct. This deeply entrenched dichotomy, this narrow
either/or choice, may be the problem. The anti-grammar argument seems
to be that describing sentences doesn't help us be better writers and
doesn't even help us be more "correct" in our writing. There doesn't
seem to be a recognition that grammar study could do more than describe
the grammaticalness or correctness of forms.
   I don't agree that grammar was always about error. When I was in what
we used to call Junior High, I had wonderful teachers who did what so
many of us are talking about, breaking down sentences for the pleasure
of seeing how they work. It was a delight to me, and it gave me a
grounding in language that has been amended and fine-tuned, for sure,
over the years, but is in a very real sense built out of those early
insights and that early pleasure.
   I may be one of the few people on list who feel that correcting
language is a trivial pursuit. Typically, we just correct language, try
to decide how to do it with as little metalanguage as possible, with no
accountability for what students know or "need" to know. The prevailing
view, in fact, is that they don't need to know much. If we aim at
something much deeper, these issues of "correctness" will come along,
but correctness seems unfortunate as a central approach, whether
championed by Chomsky or anyone else. It's a little like saying
students don't need to know about history; they just need to know how
to vote. As a writer, I make language choices constantly, and
correctness seems to me a very trivial part of that. (It's less
trivial, I know, for people who are hurt by it. And I help those
studnets every day. But my job is to help empower them, not to
reinforce the notion that correctness is a central goal.)
   Innateness is just one part of the theory. If grammar is wired in, then
it has no central connection to our embodied experience of the world or
our social interactions or the shared building of meaning within our
disciplines. The rules are rules about "forms", not observations about
the rich and interactive construction of meaning.
    Innateness also brings with it the widespread belief that children
know most of an adult language by the time they reach school. We don't
pay much attention to the complex ways in which that language grows
and needs to grow as the child enters into more mature roles and more
mature relationships with the world. Reducing it to acquiring
"Standard English" is part of the problem.
   I agree that progressive educators wanted to toss out grammar and did
so in a fairly shallow way. It's also possible that new paradigms would
be oversimplified in the same way. But we would be less in danger of
that if English teachers had some training in language beyond
(typically) a single survey course. A great deal would change if we
thought of grammar as an important part of the English curriculum,
deeply entwined with cognition and interaction, not just concerned with
the narrow goal of correctness.
   We should also wonder why grammar is finding its way back into
curriculums around the world, but the powers that be here (in NCTE) are
doing their best to minimize it and keep it out. Our long history of
formal grammar may be part of that, along with our tendency to
associate grammar with regressive, error centered pedagogy. We don't
think grammar has much to do with "creativity" or with the higher order
concerns in the English curriculum. Functional and cognitive approaches
may be uniquely suited to pulling us out of that. They don't treat form
and meaning as separate, but as innately entwined.

Craig
 Craig et al.: