ATEG Archives

June 2009

From:
Gregg Heacock <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 9 Jun 2009 20:12:20 -0400
Bob,

Thank you for your reply.  If meaning is the product of negotiation, then language is used to translate our thoughts to others.  But, if that is so, our thoughts are steeped in ambiguity.  I have heard that Saul Bellow, when asked how he felt about winning the Nobel Prize for literature, replied that he would not know until he sat down and wrote about it.  Thinking is different from having thoughts.  Anyone can have thoughts, but thinking is a process.  I teach college graduates how to approach the GMAT exam on sentence correction.  To find the best expression of an idea, test takers must decide what the writer's intention would have been before they can select the answer that best fulfills that intention.  But, given that we often surprise ourselves with what we say, even we might have to consider what lies behind our remarks.  What I discovered in teaching how to do well on the GMAT was that, to know the best answer, one must take into account grammar, rhetoric, and logic:  how words relate to each other, how words relate to ideas, and how ideas relate to each other.  My concern for those who are so heavily invested in the importance of syntax is that this is only part of the picture.  But, in my relating having, doing, and being to the past, present, and future and to reality, imagination, and conceptualization is that grammar encodes deep thought patterns.  Teachers who belittle grammar instruction have little idea of how important this discipline is to shaping the mind.  For language not only translates our thinking, it structures our thinking.  Those who never master the  variety of grammatical forms available to them are unlikely to see how one circumstance impinges upon another.  Vygotski says that words embody thoughts and that no one can have a thought without using words.  They are the elements of thought.  Maybe deeper than thought is our intention.  Vygotski mentions a playwright who composed an entire drama using the Russian equivalent of "shit."  But, as the two characters in his  play spoke, each line had a different intention.  We can see the same in how people, through performance, interpret poems, plays, and songs.  Words are but place-holders for meaning.  Consider the following poem by George Herbert, "Upon a Child."  I teach it by presenting only one line at a time, leaving the title until the last.  I tell my students that poems have a cumulative meaning and that they generate an emotional and intellectual context that may change the meaning of everything that came before.  So, with each line we discuss what is possible.  As the poem advances, some possibilities seem more probable.  By the end, we know what is actual.  Here is the poem:

Upon a Child

Here a pretty baby lies,
Sung asleep by lullabies;
Pray, be silent and not stir
Th' easy earth that covers her.

Assuming that the words are conveyers of meaning rather than forms of deception, they all mean something different at the end than they did as they moved the poem forward.  One could say that George Herbert uses language to translate his thoughts.  But, I believe that is different from what you meant in the beginning.  Maybe it is to translate his thinking.

All I know is that, when I first read a book on cognitive grammar (often more broadly termed "cognitive linguistics"), I saw that this approach connected grammar to artistic expression and common speech.  I would encourage people to examine all of this further.  Once we do, we can draw a circle that circumscribes our approach to language instruction and find that it includes what all other language teachers are doing and more.  Grammar, rhetoric, and logic--the Trivium, taught in Medieval times--were said to form the Key to Heaven.  I think this is true.  If we treat our subject with depth, we could lead many less disciplined teachers out of the wilderness and we could help  them empower children to gain greater access to the world around them and inside them.

You may choose to say no more about this subject, but I think it is worthy of further exploration.  I know that my exploring has only cracked the surface.  There is more to this than meets the eye.

Thank you for your respectful reply,

Gregg