ATEG Archives

March 2008

From:
"STAHLKE, HERBERT F" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 14 Mar 2008 21:07:11 -0400
This "have/'ve/of" clitic has taken on a life of its own.  In "If I'd'a
been there" the "'d" could be a contraction of "would."  But in "If I
had'a been there," admittedly non-standard, what's the "'a" a
contraction of?  Surely not "If I had have been there."  But I've also
heard--and can say--"If I'd'a'a been there" (surely not from "If I would
have have been there?").  I don't know what the second "'a" is, but I've
heard it often enough and from a lot of speakers.  Phonetically it comes
out as a lengthened schwa or perhaps a double schwa representing to
syllables.

Herb