ATEG Archives

December 1998

From:
"Paul E. Doniger" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 12 Dec 1998 23:22:07 -0500
Dear Brandi,

From one who teaches in an inner-city charter high school, let me say that
coming to conclusions is next to impossible.  Whenever I come to a
conclusion about anything I teach, a student comes along to show me how
wrong I am!

I think that the best we can do is to keep learning - from experience, from
each other and from our students - what works and what doesn't; and
remember that any "one-size-fits-all" theory is bound to be a mistake.

For the record, last year, when I tried to teach my students the basics of
diagramming sentences, I learned that most of them hated it, but a few of
them learned something from it.  I did NOT try to make it affect their
writing directly - this is one area where I suspect the research is
acurate.  I simply wanted them to understand how sentences were put
together, and to THINK about it.  But my attempt was, I think, unsuccessful
for most of my students.

Good luck with your research,

PED