ATEG Archives

October 2005

From:
William McCleary <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 21 Oct 2005 22:59:22 -0700
Bob,

You are not a "silly prescriptivist" about the structures in
question. They are not the patterns found in mature writing. I, too,
have seen them many times in student writing.

However, it seems to me that they are intermediate structures, those
of students who aren't yet experienced in writing what I call
"speaker tags." Many students arrive in college with little or no
experience in identifying the speakers or writers they are citing.
They are accustomed to simply taking information from sources and
reporting it as if the material were their own. I sometimes think
they don't even read material such as newspaper reporting that uses
speaker tags.

Therefore, students have to be taught to use speaker tags, and that
can take some doing. In the process of learning, they use the kinds
of structures that you and Johanna are complaining about. Those are
not terrible structures; most of the time they pose no problem for
the reader. They are just not the way that mature writers do it. If a
teacher will keep working on the problem, sooner or later most
students will learn to do it in the preferred manner.

If anyone wonders why students can take so long to learn this basic
skill, I think it's because we tend to teach speaker tags in the
context of term paper writing, where students have many other new
tasks to learn: research, finding appropriate topics, combining
materials from many sources into a coherent whole, and so on. For
students who have not written a term paper before, they are
overwhelmed.

For this reason, I have found it better to introduce students to
writing speaker tags by assigning simpler genres, such as news and
feature writing. For instance, I would give students quotes from
several people involved in a newsy event and ask the students to
write a newspaper-style account of the event, carefully citing the
source of nearly every statement. Other skills can then be added in
future assignments, building up to an academic research paper at the
end.

Using such a sequence is not always necessary, of course. Many
students were taught how to do an academic research paper in high
school, and some of them even remember it. As always, the teacher's
job is to find out where the students are and go from there.

Bill