ATEG Archives

January 2012

From:
Larry Beason <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 16 Jan 2012 16:16:58 -0600
That's a really good example--the pi's in particular.  Not sure if I have room given some pagination limits I'm already at, but do you mind if I use your example?

larry

Larry Beason
Associate Professor & Composition Director
Dept. of English, 240 HUMB
Univ. of South Alabama
Mobile AL 36688
(251) 460-7861
>>> Dick Veit <[log in to unmask]> 01/16/12 4:13 PM >>>
Larry,

The rule of thumb I follow is to avoid apostrophes for plurals of words and
numbers, except when they are needed for ease of reading. Hence: "They
issued a long list of do's and don'ts." The plural of "don't" does not need
an apostrophe for easy reading, but the plural of "do" does. Similarly,
"There were two pi's and three omegas in the fraternity names." People
would have difficulty reading about dos and pis, so they get apostrophes.

So, in this case, pragmatism trumps a hard-and-fast rule.

Dick