ATEG Archives

August 2006

From:
Craig Hancock <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 3 Aug 2006 16:53:33 -0400
Ed,
   You may be right. The Scope and Sequence I would like to help work on,
the one endorsed by the ATEG conference, takes "knowledge of grammar"
as a prime goal. Once that is set in motion, then anyone who believes
that conscious knowledge is not important or that traditional gramamr
already solves all our needs should simply work on a different set of
goals or get out of the way.
   Many people on list believe that we should aim at a minimum
understanding. I'm not even sure what that is, but I'm not one of them.
   Preparation for the SAT, or any error or behavior centered test,  just
seems a different kind of gaol than KISS or any knowledge centered
approach would take. As with the KISS system, I think an outcome ought
to be an ability to explain the elements of the sentences that show up
in routine discourse, whether the students' writing or the texts we
value as "literature." Grammar is there when writing is working well,
in ways that error centered attention will never notice.
   Of course, these higher goals would fold in error as a matter of
course. I don't think you can get there without a base of knowledge
that goes well beyond error and well beyond the typical handbook.
   We need to be able to ask whether a prepositional phrase is important
to language, not whether it shows up as a typical error. It's a whole
different set of goals and assumptions. Whether it's adverbial or
adjectival is a question about basic, everyday meaning, not about
error, and those are the observations I think a meaning-centered,
knowledge focused grammar ought to make. If we accept those goals, then
we will have terminology questions to work on, but I think we can do
that with some grace and collegiality. If someone interupts to say that
this is not important to them, so it shouldn't be important to us, or
that traditional grammar never included it, then the work can't get
done.
   The differences between a knowledge focused scope and sequence and KISS
will not be so substantial as to render either unintelligible to the
other. KISS tries to be both sequential and comprehensive, as a scope
and sequence ought to.
   If what you are asking for is a clear articulation of the underlying
principles, I have absolutely no argument.

Craig

Craig,