ATEG Archives

August 2001

From:
"Glauner, Jeff" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 21 Aug 2001 15:02:46 -0500
You're right about attitudes toward dialect.  You probably did your survey
in California where you would expect reactions like the ones you got.
Unfortunately, you'd get much the same in states where southern dialects are
standard.  Labov got those sorts of reactions to pronunciation in New York
City.  So in describing attitudes, the term class is probably indispensable.
I would, however, like to see us move away from the use of terms in our
general discussion of dialect that seem to imply a social hierarchy of
better and worse people based upon dialect.

I'm not trying to be politically correct.  I get in trouble constantly for
not being politically correct.  I just hate what they are trying to do in
Texas to their drawl.  I visited Houston recently and discovered that many
native Texans have quit drawling.  I miss that lopsided little heist of the
upper lip. When I asked about the negative attitude toward the Texas
dialect, I was told that it was an economic thang.  No classy jobs for
drawlers.

Jeff Glauner
Associate Professor of English
Park University, Box 1303