ATEG Archives

January 2007

From:
Johanna Rubba <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 26 Jan 2007 13:58:45 -0800
Craig,

Forgive the irony, but if you want a verb that means "have an effect
on", a good choice is "affect."

"Effect" as a verb is probably pretty rare (as soon as I find my
Cobuild grammar I'm going to look all this up), and "effective" being
pretty usable as an adjective form of "affect", what I would predict
is that the noun form will become "affect", as in "it had a negative
affect", and "affective" (second-syllable stress) might come into
common use in place of "effective".  The technical noun "affect" is
not used wiidely, of course, so it doesn't present strong competition.

I don't think there's a meaning confusion involved here; I think it's
all due to the spelling and the extension of "effective", with the
rarity of "effect" as a verb contributing greatly. The first syllable
(the vowel /æ/ or /i/) is reduced to schwa, and schwas are among the
best candidates for misspelling. The default choice most people make
when they hear schwa and don't know how to spell the word is the
letter 'a'.

I don't know if anyone on this list is familiar with the work of Joan
Bybee -- she is making enormous contributions to our understanding of
language. This "effect" question is something she would probably have
something to say about (although she works more on proving that much
of uttered and written language comprises more or less formulaic or
"prefab" expressions). She has done a lot of work on the history of
languages as well as contemporary psycholinguistic experimentation
and has proven a great deal of influence of one lexical item or
phrase on another, and has shown how important frequency is
entrenching a word or phrase and increasing its power to affect (!)
other words/phrases. She also has a principle of "autonomy" by which
a word or phrase becomes so strong and frequent that it begins to be
perceived as no longer belonging to its original paradigm.

Dr. Johanna Rubba, Ph. D.
Associate Professor, Linguistics
Linguistics Minor Advisor
English Dept.
Cal Poly State University San Luis Obispo
San Luis Obispo, CA 93407
Ofc. tel. : 805-756-2184
Dept. tel.: 805-756-2596
Dept. fax: 805-756-6374