ATEG Archives

September 2006

From:
Craig Hancock <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 27 Sep 2006 12:25:38 -0400
>Alison,
   I blundered on an approach this semester for writing projects that is
working enormously well; I'm not sure if it would carry over to
interviews.
   My students are working on writing exercises. In their "writing
groups", they read each others' work and pick one that they
particularly like, which then gets copied off for the whole class.
Before the writer reads it in class, someone from the group explains
why they like and chose the piece. Even when there are weaknesses
(usually in fit for the assignment), being picked and praised seems to
make it a very positive experience for the writer.
   Could they interview each other and then present one as "the best"?
The key, I think, is what you are trying to teach from the interview and
whether all would benefit from seeing someone else do it well.
   One delightful carry-over for me is that I now have a number of
students who have had a large role in the class; it may be coincidence,
but I believe that's a major reason for highly engaged class
discussions.

Craig

 Thank you James.  That is a great idea.   Also I can see how the