ATEG Archives

April 1999

From:
Dave Sawyer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 17 Apr 1999 09:49:04 CST
** Reply to note from Assembly for the Teaching of English Grammar =
<[log in to unmask]>         Fri, 16 Apr 1999 18:48:35 -0400

I would encourage you to take a serious look at Matha Kolln's "Rhetorical
Grammar" (Allyn and Bacon). I've been using it in one of my regular
composition courses for several years now (I'd give at least one
eye-tooth to do an advanced writing course with it), and have found that
its approach to grammar (modern) works very well with students who have
little recollection of any grammar, and its constant focus on the
rheotrical effects of different grammatical choices is a focus students
seem to appreciate.

In the new edition Martha Kolln introduces Christiansen's "Generative
Rhetoric of the Paragraph," and that, along with the known-new contract
and the manipulation of focus in the sentence combine to make a "grammar"
of the paragraph do-able.

Dave Sawyer
North Hennepin Community College
Brooklyn Park, MN.