ATEG Archives

April 2009

From:
Craig Hancock <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 30 Apr 2009 13:18:01 -0400
Herb,
   This sort of confusion is critical to those of us who want to orient
students to standard practice without necessarily being limited by it.
Usually, that means selecting or recommending a good handbook, but
presenting it as a conservative sort of advice. It can cause nothing but
confusion if a teacher gives idiosyncratic advice (as Brad does), but
presents it as a standard advice. This is the "right way", the "correct
way", implies that there's a consensus. Brad keeps saying over and over
again that the handbooks and grammar books have it all wrong. If this is
a unique view, then you can't assert the weight of authority behind it.

Craig